Thursday, January 1, 2015

Back Road to Taos, NM

My Car Altar 
Living in Denver makes visiting New Mexico easy, even for weekend adventures. In Winter, when it’s cold and snowy in Colorado, southern New Mexico can offer a respite from the snow, which is what this native Southern California girl needs! 

I decided to go to Truth or Consequences, NM for my Winter Initiation Vision Quest. It seemed like a fitting name, and there are hot springs in the area (which aids the cause immensely). I’m a back roads kind of gal, so to get to get to TorC, I drove through Taos, NM, by way of Country Road 64 through Cimarron Canyon State Park and the northern area of Santa Fe National Forest. 

The first set of roads on this route were long and straight, with glitterings of ice crystals floating in the wind. Part of me enjoyed being solo on the road, however the deeper I traveled, another part emerged. A part that yearned for other vehicles to pass by every now and then, to enforce the idea that if something happened, someone would find me. 

When I got to the base of the mountain pass, it was snowing heavily and there was lots of snow on the ground. I put my car in 4 wheel drive and continued forward. There were 4 trucks in front of me. It felt safer doing this journey with others and I was grateful for them. If we got snowed in, we could come together as a group to make it through the evening until rescue came in the morning.


Me...moving through the snowy portal
Together we moved up the side of the dark, snowy mountain, slowly, but together. I was in the rear, holding space for the caravan, like a little caboose. Even though I had a sense of safety being in a group, I was in the rear.  If something happened to me, they may not notice. I thought about how I could flash my brights quickly as I went off the ledge, to get their attention before the snow swallowed me. 

....then someone came up behind me. 

It felt so good to have someone have my back. A huge sigh of emotion moved though me.  This is a feeling I do not often have...the feeling someone has my back. Tears welled in my eyes. Frozen emotions started to thaw, and deep longings started to emerge. I knew this was not the time to process emotions coming up. I could barely see through the snow, let alone through tears. I sent a prayer to the people behind me and felt deep peace at having someones back... and someone having mine. 

Eventually, the caravan worked its way down to 2 vehicles, me and the truck in front of me. We stayed together for a couple hours, snaking our way through the dark, snowy, twisty/turny road. What a powerful connection to have with another. Deeply bonded and aware.  

Eventually we made it to Taos and went our separate ways. As soon as I got into my hotel room I passed out. I was exhausted after that driving experience!!! Although intense, I'm so grateful. Not only did I get an opportunity to practice my winter driving skills, I connected into deep emotions and longings.

Elk herd our caravan drove by as we moved 
up and through the mountains. 

Road trips into the unknown and solo time in nature are powerful opportunities for learning. Here are some Soulful Ponderings to inspire your next wild outing.  
  • What lessons does the open road offer you? 
  • What insights are available to you from adventuring through mystery? 
  • How can you honor your wild independence and also honor your need for community? 
  • Who has your back? 
  • What fears emerge in you as solo out into the wild? 

Here's one of my SoulCollage creations. Made to honor the magic & medicine 
of setting off into the mountains for my Winter Quest. 



1 comment: