Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Chatfield Lake State Park



I've come to know the ecology of Chatfield Lake State Park on a Soul level. I enjoy witnessing the spirit of this place evolve through the seasons, and have special spots I frequent throughout the year.   

It is a State Park, so there is an entrance fee. I buy an annual state park pass every year, which comes in handy since there are six state parks within an hour drive from Denver. There are lots of activities to explore, like boating, kayaking and horse back riding (...none-of-which I've done). 

In Spring, a wetland trail in the east section of the park encourages muddy explorations along the river. I’ve had wonderful interactions with Frog and Beaver on this trail. Summer hikes through wildflowers and waist high grasses is a fun treat. The park sits at the base of the foot hills and is a fabulous location for bird watching. This is where I come to  listen to one of my favorite bird songs, the Western Meadowlark. 

This park is easy to access in Winter, which makes it one of my "go-to-places" when I don’t feel like driving far in snow. It's easy to the get to the lake with my camera gear to shoot ice images and meditate on the season.  

Chatfield Lake is a great place for sunset shots and capturing reflections of the colorful Colorado sky. There is a camp ground at the lake, however if I'm going to camp, there are places further out of town and more remote that appeal to my camping preferences. 

I enjoy watching this land evolve over the seasons. I recommend everyone find a place, a piece of wild land you can visit often and engage with on a deep level. Explore this place through the seasons, watching its evolution, and seeing changes in your own self mirrored through your observations. 



No comments:

Post a Comment